Successful applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to human resources before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
To participate in the planning and giving of total nursing care to meet the individual patients’ needs, in accordance with the philosophy, objectives and policies of the Home. Responsible for the supervision of staff in a fair and objective manner and in accordance with the Managing Unsatisfactory Performance Policy.
· Identify and provide for the total nursing needs of the individual patient and initiate changes in the nursing care plan when indicated
· Administer the treatment and medications ordered by the attending physician.
· Observe and record reactions, signs and symptoms, together with an evaluation of the patients’ progress.
· Supervise the care given by auxiliary nursing personnel.
· Be familiar with the Managing Unsatisfactory Performance Policy.
· Attend and participate in nursing conferences at beginning and end of tour of duty, to exchange information on assigned patients.
· Assist the physician in carrying out diagnostic tests and therapeutic measures where required.
· Maintain an accurate record of the treatments and medications administered and performed.
· Maintain an accurate record of the bowel needs of the residents and to administer enemas/ suppositories to the residents as the need arises.
· Promote patient acceptance of the medical treatment and nursing care program and the practice of good health habits.
· Cooperate with other members of the care team and personnel of other departments in providing a totality of patient care.
· Attend nursing staff meetings and actively participate in the in-service education program.
· Develop and maintain good public relations and an effective working relationship with patients, the general public, other employees and the attending physicians.
· Contribute to the welfare of the residents by providing a comfortable, orderly, clean and safe environment.
· Answer phone and resident signal, receiving and relaying messages.
· Be familiar with the fire, EMO and personnel policies of the Home.
· To assist with admission/ discharges.
· Successful completion of an approved diploma or degree course in nursing.
· Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
· Eligible for registration with the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
· Basic Life Support certification
· Ability to work within Microsoft Office
· Ability to work as a team member and foster collaborative relationships with leadership abilities
· Demonstrated commitment to quality improvements initiatives and evidence - based practices
· Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving, and decision - making skills
· Ability to organize, prioritize and special attention to accuracy and detail
· Demonstrated communication and conflict resolution skills
· Demonstrated accountability and responsibility
· Demonstrated planning, organizational, prioritizing and time management skills
· Committed to ongoing learning and professional development
· Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practices and organizational health
· Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment
· Physical capabilities to perform the duties of the position
Salary - As per NSNU Collective Agreement
Please apply by submitting a current resume to the Director of Resident Care, or by email to:
Please quote Competition Number on application.
This is a NSNU position and first consideration will be given to NSNU employees.
Thank you for your interest in this position.