Rehabilitative Care Workers are directly responsible to the Assistant Director of Resident Care or designate (LPN shift supervisor on duty) for the care of residents.
List of Duties:
· To create a supportive atmosphere in which residents are assisted to live as independently as possible.
· To assist residents in learning skills necessary for the activities of daily living and to teach self-care in accordance with each client's goals, objectives and care plan.
· To facilitate appropriate resident decision making and choices.
· To ensure personal care, grooming, and hygiene of all residents is completed with assistance provided according to the level of independence, ability and motivation of resident.
· To maintain residents' clothing in clean and neat condition and in a good state of repair, including ironing and minor repairs.
· To assist with provision of meals and lunches to the residents.
· To assist residents at mealtime as required, with attention to special needs and requirements such as diets and allergies.
· To assist residents to attend and participate in recreation and leisure activities.
· To be knowledgeable of, and consistent in following resident programs.
· To observe and report to the Supervisor any significant change in mood, behavior or condition of the residents.
· To maintain daily and monthly records of resident care, condition, and progress.
· To attend and participate in team meetings, staff meetings and other meetings as required.
· To attend and participate in In-Service Education programs for the purpose of maintaining and upgrading skills and knowledge. To provide and maintain a clean and safe environment for residents, staff and public, including laundry and housekeeping duties as assigned.
· To maintain appliances and equipment in a clean and safe operating condition, i.e. refrigerator defrosted and cleaned, stoves, washers, dryers, irons, clean and in good condition.
· To report any equipment problems promptly to the Shift Supervisor.
· To be aware of safety hazards and WHIMIS regulations.
· To read and properly follow instructions regarding use of chemicals and cleaning agents.
· To store chemicals and cleaning agents safely at all times.
· To perform other related duties as may be assigned by the Administrator, Director of Client Services or delegated representatives.
· High School Diploma or equivalent combination of training and experience.
· Successful completion of a Human Services Residential/Vocational program or meets the Provincial training and qualifications standard.
· Recent related job experience preferred.
Special Knowledge and Skills:
· Must present a respectful cooperative attitude in interpersonal relationships.
· Must be able to assist in teaching skills to adults with intellectual disabilities and/or long-term mental health challenges.
· Must demonstrate effective communication skills. 4) Must be able to assist in identifying and providing for individual needs of each resident.
· Must display good judgment in working with residents, staff, and the public, presenting an attitude of respect and cooperation.
· Must display empathy and understanding toward residents.
· Must encourage good resident morale, relate to residents in an age-appropriate manner, and maintain an atmosphere, which is home-like and respectful of residents' individual needs and rights.
· Must be able to cope effectively with unexpected disruptions and changes to normal routine.
· Must be able to assist/teach new staff and students.
· Must be physically and emotionally able to fulfill job requirements, including lifting residents in and out of bed, bathtubs, and/or wheelchairs and assisting residents with ambulation.
· Standing, walking, lifting and housekeeping tasks are involved.
The usual work area is indoors. Short outdoor walks with residents are involved. Travel may occasionally be required pertaining to social and recreational activities or accompanying residents to appointments or to hospitals. Smoking is permitted on ACMHC property for residents and staff; as such, employees may be exposed to secondhand smoke.
The Adult Residential Centre provides personal care for mentally challenged and mentally disabled adults who may, from time to time, when upset, exhibit behaviors such as verbal outbursts, striking, scratching, or pushing.
Many residents smoke cigarettes and as part of their duties, RCWs are required to dispense cigarettes to residents.
Successful applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Check) to Human Resources within 4 weeks of employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
Please note this is a CUPE position and salary is per the collective agreement.
This posting is open to internal and external applicants.