· Reporting to the Manager of Support Services, the cook is responsible for the safe preparation, delivery and clean-up of meal service; the oversight of all kitchen staff and activities when supervisors are absent.
Primary Responsibilities / Duties:
· Prepare / serve meals for 100+ residents with a high regard for food safety
· Prepare therapeutic textures and alternate options for allergies / preferences
· Clean and sanitize work areas; wash, rinse, and sanitize pots and pans
· Record equipment and food temperatures at regularly scheduled intervals to prevent food borne illness
· Supervise staff when manager is not present
· Accept deliveries and place food orders as needed
· Follow safe food handling practices; properly store and date all food
· Report any safety hazards and follow safe work procedures
· Open/close kitchen and secure restricted areas
· Assist with cleaning throughout the department
· Work as part of a team to ensure smooth and efficient delivery of meal services
· Communicate issues, resident concerns and compliments with manager of dining services
· Additional duties as required
· Completion of cook, chef, or culinary training required
· Willingness to complete further training up to and including Journeyman Certification
· Valid Food Handlers Course required (or willingness to obtain within 6 mths of hire)
· WHMIS required annually
· Demonstrated teamwork, interpersonal and communication skills
· Strong customer service skills
· Must be able to complete physical demands of the position
· Experience working with the elderly an asset
Hours of work: 8-hour shifts (5am – 1:15pm, 10 am-6pm) Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and call-ins.
We provide a home-like environment for residents, which includes plants and animals. MMCG provides care for residents 365 days a year, including holidays, evenings and weekends.
Staff persons are expected to display good judgement in working with residents, staff and volunteers and to present an attitude of respect and cooperation. Empathy and understanding are to be shown toward residents at all times.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, and persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.